Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Craving of the Week

Sausage and pepper calzone


There's nothing on daytime television but soap operas and news so I find myself watching food shows. I've been having the worst craving for a sausage and pepper sandwich or a sausage calzone. Thanks, Kitchen Boss. After a lot of research, I've come to the conclusion that I cannot eat a sausage calzone. The first indication was that the Weight Watchers Points+ database does not have Points info on such a dish, usually meaning I shouldn't even think about eating it. One calzone listed was 42 Points+... yeah... I only get 29 Points+ a day. Not worth it. Plus, it's not something Dan would share so I'd have to eat the entire thing (even if it meant spreading it over over the course of a few).

If I weren't so sick, I'd make what I call sausage pepper pasta. It's a favorite here at the Brown house, and it does a great job of satisfying the sausage sub craving. I saute a bell pepper and a medium onion (sliced into strips) with olive oil flavored spray and minced garlic until cooked but still crisp. I toss in a small can of mushrooms (for added veggies), a can of petite cut diced tomatoes, and chicken sausage (cut in half, then slices). Since the sausage is pre-cooked, it doesn't take very long. I season it with Italian herbs, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and thicken the sauce a little with corn starch. Finally, I toss it over a low point pasta (Dan loves angel hair) and top it with reduced fat grated Parmesan cheese. Yummy!



Enough about food, I'm going to lay down. This cold is kicking my butt. Happy eating, everyone!

No comments: