Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Go-To Breakfast: Yogurt Parfait


I know many people are not big fans of breakfast, but I can't be a bigger proponent of the morning meal. I think eating breakfast daily has helped me greatly along my weight loss journey. Studies show that eating within the first hour of waking up does wonders to jump start your metabolism. I have noticed that eating breakfast prevents me from overeating throughout the day because I don't let myself get to the point that I am famished. Then, I have less cravings, thus making staying on track much easier. 

I've learned that my body needs a protein-heavy breakfast, and I have since adjusted accordingly. Instead of a carbohydrate based breakfast such as a bowl of cereal or a bagel, I now eat toast with low fat peanut butter and a banana, Greek yogurt with fruit and cereal, or Egg Beaters and ham on toast.

My yogurt parfait consists of:
  • 6 ounces of non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt (I used to be a loyal Chobani customer, but I recently discovered that Oikos Vanilla is fabulous) 
  • 1/2 cup of canned, crushed pineapple (canned with Splenda to avoid added sugar) drained of juice
  • 1/2 cup Fiber One Honey Squares

I simply add the three ingredients in a bowl and gently it together. I find it to be a simple, delicious, and filling 5 Point+ breakfast.  Plus, I check a fruit and a dairy off my daily WW checklist. I use Greek yogurt because it's higher in protein than regular yogurt, and I prefer it's thicker texture. You can use other fruits-- I've tried grapes and chopped apples, but canned pineapple is a lot less work.

What's your go-to breakfast?

No comments: