Wednesday, February 22, 2012

10 Food-Related Things You Probably Didn't Know About Me

Between my wedding dress blog and this one, I've been blogging for about two years now. I put together a list of 10 food-related things you probably didn't know about me, however random or crazy they may be.
    1. I love garlic. The more garlic the better! I like when a dish has so much garlic that it becomes spicy. So what, I may smell-- at least I know I'm safe from vampires.
    2. I "save" what I want for last. I swear that I have tried to get better with this, but I eat the best last. For instance, I eat the broken potato chips before the intact ones. I also eat the top of the bagel or the diagonal half of the sandwich with the top, round edge of the bread first. I noticed I did this when my husband would always wait until I was almost finished to eat some of my food, thus always eating the best part.
    3. I can be a tomato sauce snob. I tend to judge restaurants based on the quality of their sauce. We all may not have time to always make our own tomato sauce, but know that a jar of sauce will never compare. Restaurants don't have an excuse not to make their own sauce. Nothing bums me out more than a canned sauce that tastes like tomato paste. Also, the smell of burnt tomato sauce instantly turns my stomach. 
    4. I have to have a little bit of everything in each bite. No matter if it's a salad, bowl of pasta, or a standard dinner-- I need to have a taste of everything in each bite. I get disappointed when I get to the end of a salad, and I'm left with nothing but toppings or a bunch of plain lettuce. 
    5. I do a dance when I eat Nutella. I think that it is sad that I did not discover Nutella sooner in my life. How did I live 24 years of my life without its delicious goodness?! Whether I smear Nutella on toast or just dip a spoon in the jar, I wiggle and hum a song consisting of "mmm"s each time I eat it. It's glorious.
    6. I dread drinking water. In all honesty, I don't like to drink in general, but I really find water to be the most boring beverage. To me, water is a base for other flavors. I rarely find myself thirsty. Instead, I'm often forcing myself to drink something because I know I should. Strange, I know. 
    7. I  could try anything so long as you don't tell me what it is... and it doesn't smell funny. I'm open to trying new foods, even seafood, which scares me, so long as I cannot identify the food. "Mmm! That's the most flavorful, tender chicken ever... Oh? Catfish, you say?" I didn't say I would continue to eat it, but I will at least try it. It bothers me when people don't have the courage to try something out of their comfort zone. Plus, I find it rude not to at least try a "no thank you" helping.
    8. I prefer to know what I'm going to eat before we step foot in a restaurant. I rarely go to a restaurant that doesn't have access to their menu online. Maybe it is because I have had the awkward moment when I had to leave a restaurant after being seated once I realized I did not eat anything on their very limited menu? Maybe it is because I know I can take forever looking over a menu at the table or that I want to make sure I get into the mindset where I am looking forward to that dish once we get there?  
    9. My sandwiches must be assembled in the preferred order. Dan has learned not to judge me aloud while I disassemble my burger so the meat touches the pickles and the lettuce is on the mayo or to ask me when he assembles a sandwich for me. For starters, lettuce should NEVER be on the bottom, and cheese should always touch egg on a sandwich. 
    10. I prefer to dine with people who share a mutual love of food and are willing to share. There is nothing worse than sitting down to a dinner with someone who is unhappy with their food. It ruins my food-buzz. I want to be surrounded by diners who don't look at me strangely when I have a foodgasm or get so excited over a perfectly-made marscapone cheesecake. If you want to make a friend for life, offer me a bite of what you have. 
What food crazy quirks do you have?

No comments: