Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Have you tried these? Special K Flatbread Breakfast Sandwiches

In the past, I've talked about my need to eat a high-protein breakfast. Ever since I was a kid, I've known that high-carb breakfasts do nothing to curb my appetite or leave me satisfied. For me, cereal, pancakes, or a bagel does nothing. I often refer to high-carb breakfasts as the "anti-breakfast" because they leave me feeling hungry, often hungrier than I was before I ate. So, instead, I'm a hearty breakfast kind of girl-- eggs and toast, or my favorite, a breakfast sandwich.

When I first started losing weight, I ate low fat ham, egg beaters, and Weight Watcher's cheese on a light whole grain English muffin almost every morning. Now, I can only dream of having that kind of time in the mornings. I'm not sure I could wake up any sooner to prepare such an elaborate meal-- I mean, does my alarm clock even have the ability to work earlier than 6 AM? Hell, I'm lucky if I get the chance to make a protein shake for my long drive to work. Often, I end up eating some low-sugar oatmeal at the office (yup, all carbs) or woofing down a granola bar before court (again, all carbs). 

Well, the other day, I picked up a box of Special K's new Flatbread Breakfast Sandwiches from the frozen food section. These new breakfast sandwiches are part of Special K "Protein Effect" line. Let's just say, I hope Costco starts carrying them because I would not mind eating one of these sandwiches every morning. They only take just over a minute to heat in the microwave, so they are great for my morning routine. They taste a lot like the Dunkin' Donuts egg white flatbread sandwiches. The box boasts a multigrain flatbread with real eggs (and apparently the egg and cheese variety apparently has real tomatoes... woot?). I love the fluffy scrambled egg and spicy pepper jack cheese. I love that the bread doesn't get hard and chewy in the microwave. I especially love that these sandwiches only range from 4-6 WW Points+.  Special K makes three varieties:  1)   eggs with vegetables and pepper jack cheese; 2) ham, egg, and pepper jack cheese (the one I bought); and 3) sausage, egg, and cheese. I can guarantee you that I will be trying all three varieties. I can have a breakfast sandwich with sausage for only 6 WW points+?! Special K, I think I love you.

1 comment:

Allegra said...

I found this last night at my local Shoprite and was immediately intrigued when I saw it only was 6 pts for a sausage, egg and cheese sandwich! I thought for sure it would be tiny or not taste good, or worst of all: not be filling. I just finished eating one and was surprised by how delicious and large it was! I still am waiting to see how hungry I'll be by lunch time but so far so good!