Thursday, January 12, 2012

New Year's Resolution: Lose Weight

Each year, many people make a New Year's resolution to lose weight. It is no surprise that each year, fitness clubs and diet companies profit from the sudden increase in health-conscious customers. On the 1st of the year, the TV floods with commercials for the latest dieting trends and fitness centers are filled to the brim with members working towards their resolution  (often referred to as January Rush). In the end, most of the people who set out to lose the weight, give up within a matter of months, if not weeks.

This year has been the worst January Rush at the gym that I have witnessed. Sure, I'm used to seeing more people at the gym in January and struggling to find parking during peak hours, but this year has been ridiculous. There were about 80 people in my Zumba class on Monday! The room only holds about 40 comfortably. I kid you not; we were packed like sardine! It must have been in violation of the fire code. Dancers couldn't even lift their arms without risk of punching fellow dancers. I'm shocked the gym did not turn people away. I'm dreading the crowd next week.

I haven't made a New Year's resolution in many years. I feel like it is partially setting yourself up for failure. I also feel that weight loss and fitness are lifetime commitments, not a promise you make at the start of the year.

However, I think 2012 is going to be a big year for me. I'm within 20 pounds of losing 100 pounds. I think that's pretty damn obtainable in a year! Here's my line of thinking-- I dream of going to Italy- seeing the natural beauty, strolling through museums, sipping wine on a veranda, snacking on crusty bread and cheese, and being swept up in the romance the country exudes. To ensure I get there before I die, I've been telling Dan that I will plan the trip when I lose 100 pounds. I've also said we will go and share the experience on our second wedding anniversary. This year will be our second wedding anniversary and also our tenth year together! I think I can lose the approximately 20 pounds that stand in my way. I could be living my dream of going to Italy. I can do anything I set my mind to... and I think I just made up my mind. Project Italy 2012. Should I call that a resolution? I don't think so...

1 comment:

Personal trainer Mississauga said...

ngI want to lose some extra pounds this year as well, because I don't like how I look. All my life I had weight problems...I did so many exercises, I took fitness classes with a personal trainer, but I lost only a few pounds, not too many unfortunately for me. I really want to have a healthy and great body, but I must keep up the good work and results will come for sure.